On the 8th and 15th September 2018 the European Association of Vie Francigene (EAVF), in collaboration with APT Emilia-Romagna and with the technical support of ItinerAria S.r.l. and Fiorenzuola in Movimento Association has organised “I love Francigena“, an event-trip along the Via Francigena that aims to involve walkers.
Two slow, social days on the Emilian stretch of the Via Francigena, from Fidenza to Medesano and from Fiorenzuola d’Arda to Fidenza to get to know, discover and narrate the route, documenting it with photos and videos.
Participation is free and open to all, with a maximum of 25 participants for each of the walks. Registration is mandatory and can be done at: https://camminiemiliaromagna.it/it/. The “I Love Francigena” days aim to promote and enhance the European path, involving enthusiasts and walkers, raising awareness of the territory through local stakeholders (tour operators, associations, single enthusiasts) and important promoters of the Via itself. Finally, the walks are an opportunity to check the maintenance of the route and to update signage.
The photos taken during the walks will be published on the websites and social networks of Emilia-Romagna, through a social campaign with the hashtags #emiliaromagnaslow, #ViaFrancigena and #IloveFrancigena
Saturday 8th September 2018
Fidenza to Medesano (22.4km) – difficulty: medium.
“From Fidenza the great plain is definitely behind us and we begin the slow and gradual ascent to the Apennines. We proceed quickly along country roads, easy and without traffic. In this section the Romanesque art, well represented by the Cathedral of Fidenza, is rich in references to the medieval pilgrimage“.
- Meet at 8.1am at Fidenza (PR) railway station.
- Short visit to the Cathedral of Fidenza (with guide), a masterpiece of the Lombard Romanesque style, and beginning of the journey.
- Visit to Pieve di Cabriolo (2.5km from Fidenza), dedicated to St Thomas Beckett and built between the 12th and 13th centuries.
- Packed lunch (provided by participants) near the church of Costamezzana (13km from Fidenza). Water points along the route: Siccomonte, Costamezzana and before Medesano.
- Arrival in Medesano (PR) at about 5:00pm. Greetings from the administration and aperitif.
- Return by free bus to Fidenza (train station).
Saturday 15th September 2018
Fiorenzuola d’Arda to Fidenza (22.3km) – difficulty: easy.
“You walk along easy country roads, but with your gaze already turned to the horizon where the hills forewarning the Apennines loom. This section is characterised by the Abbey of Chiaravalle della Colomba, where the Cistercian monks have resided for over 900 years; and the town of Fidenza, with its Cathedral, one of the most significant Romanesque monuments of the Francigena“.
- Meet at 8:15am at Fiorenzuola d’Arda (PC) train station.
- Short visit of the 15th century Collegiate in Gothic style.
- Beginning of the journey.
- Visit to the Abbey of Chiaravalle della Colomba (5.5km from Fiorenzuola d’Arda), built in 1135, by direct initiative of the founder of the Cistercian order, Bernardo di Chiaravalle.
- Packed lunch (provided by participants) in Castione Marchesi (14km from Fiorenzuola d’Arda). Water points along the route: Chiaravalle and Castione Marchesi.
- Arrival in Fidenza around 5:00pm and greetings from the administration.
- Return by train, ticket to be paid by the participants.
Recommended equipment: trekking clothing (breathable t-shirt, shorts, cagoule), trekking shoes with ankle protection and rucksack.
Look at how to purchase the official credential of the European Association of the Via Francigena Ways at: http://www.viefrancigene.org/it/credenziali/
Register at: https://camminiemiliaromagna.it/it/. For more information, write to Project of Pilgrimage Routes and Routes in Emilia-Romagna: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information here