European Committee for Technical Interregional Coordination of the Via Francigena
In 2012 in the framework of the European project “PER VIAM” the European Association of the Vie Francigene (EAVF) in cooperation with Tuscany Region and Champagne-Ardenne Region started fostering a coordinated dialogue on a European scale among the 13 European regions of the Council of Europe cultural route of the Via Francigena, from Canterbury to Rome (Kent; Nord Pas de Calais-Picardie; Champagne-Ardenne; Bourgogne Franche-Comté; Vaud; Valais; Aosta Valley; Piedmont; Lombardy; Emilia-Romagna; Liguria; Tuscany; Lazio). Moreover the 4 Italian regions south of Rome (Campania; Molise; Basilicata; Puglia) were also included in this process, in view of the submission of the application for the extension of the Council of Europe certification to the section Rome-Apulia (towards Jerusalem).
Objectives of the ECTIC and main steps undertaken:
The Committee aims to facilitate coordinated and effective actions for the development of the route in each territory through a common European approach, the exchange of good practices, the achievement of shared solutions about the implementation of safety measures, the signage, hospitality and accommodation, joint events, coordinated information and communication, which will constitute the Euro Master Plan of the Via Francigena while assuring the transnational continuity necessary to keep the Council of Europe cultural route mention.
A Memorandum of Understanding was agreed among the European Regions of the Via Francigena and the European Committee for Technical Interregional Coordination was consequently set. The Committee is comprised of two delegates of each Region adhering to the Interregional Memorandum of Understanding.
The regional technical delegates actively participated at the Committee meetings which took place in:
- Florence (Regione Toscana), 18 May 2012
- Châlons-en-Champagne (Région Champagne-Ardenne), 24-25 January 2013
- Foggia (Regione Puglia), 18 October 2013
- Bruxelles (Regione Toscana - EU Liaison Office), 13 December 2013
- Milan (Regione Lombardia), 27 June 2014
- Reims (Région Champagne-Ardenne), 12 December 2014
- Saint-Maurice (Canton Valais), 26 June 2015
- Canterbury (Kent County), 17-18 December 2015
- Bruxelles (Regione Emilia Romagna Office), 15-16 June 2016
- Bard (Regione Valle d'Aosta), 11 November 2016
- Rome (Lombardia Region liaison office), 11 May 2017
- Milan (Lombardy Region), 19 April 2018
The ECTIC convenes twice a year. For more information, please contact the EAVF